Sunday, October 4, 2009

Liar

We have a problem at our house with a liar. Now, I've never been one to tolerate lies. I've always told my children that it's much better to tell the truth straight out, no matter how difficult that may be, than to have me find out from someone else. Finding out from someone else would not only make the punishment worse, it would seriously damage my trust in them. So, imagine my disappointment at having to live with a perennial liar. An unrepentant liar. A denier of lies.

Look. This really can't continue. You've lied again today. Every single day this week I've caught you lying.

I am not lying. I've said all week that I'm not lying. You just think I'm lying.

The evidence is there for anyone to see. You are lying to me and you just won't admit it.

You won't admit that I'm NOT lying!

Lying about a lie is not going to help you, you know. (I was really trying to stay calm and rational...an increasingly difficult task.)

Can you prove that I'm lying? Huh? Because I can prove that I'm not!

Oh, and how exactly do you propose to do that?

Just ask Daddie or Emma or Zack if I'm lying. They'll all tell you I'm telling the truth.

At this point, realizing that I was getting nowhere fast with my little liar, I left the room to search out the corroborators. A quick interview with all three left me quite demoralized, and I went back to speak with my fibber.

Well, apparently you have not lied to any of them. So, my question is...why do you continue to lie to just me?

For the umpteenth time, I AM NOT LYING TO YOU!!

I stared in utter disbelief. A wave of consciousness swept over me. It just couldn't be true. It had to be a lie. I simply couldn't have gained over six pounds in one week! I stared down at the scale in front of me. Tears welled up in my eyes, and at that moment, I knew I owed my scale an apology.



No comments:

Post a Comment